Jagadguru Kripalu Skill Institute
The overarching mission of Jagadguru Kripalu Skill Institute (JKSI) is to build a vibrant and thriving society which contributes to sustainable livelihood. It aims to do this by primarily focusing on providing theoretical education, practical skills, and employment opportunities to the rural youth.
The foundation of JKSI is its 3P value system: People, Planet, Prosperity. All decisions at JKSI are filtered through the lens of benefit to people and planet because we believe that true upliftment cannot be achieved without a proper balance of people’s and planet’s interests. In practical terms this means we focus on education and employment opportunities for rural youth and on empowering women in society. Our preference for technology that is eco-friendly and sustainable guides us to make decisions such as to install solar panels on the roof of buildings, build a bio-gas plant, and bring new technology to the aid of local farmers. As a result of these and other decisions based on the 3P value system, we expect to see sustainable social upliftment in the surrounding areas.
To streamline the various initiatives underway at JKSI, three centres are in the process of being established:
Yuva Urja (Centre for Youth)
The aim of Yuva Urja Centre for Youth is to establish itself as a “model” centre to be emulated in the state of Odisha. The centre will be known for its excellence par none and will offer diverse courses in multiple areas of interest.
These courses will be targeted at youth have failed to pass the 10th/12th grade or those who cannot afford to attend a proper college/university. The duration of these courses will typically be less than one year. By providing education within a holistic framework that includes focused technical training and other life skills, JKSI seeks to make these youth employable so that they can contribute positively to society.
Technical courses include but are not limited to
- Computer Software: Email, Facebook, Graphics Design, MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Tally (Accounting), etc.
- Construction & Maintenance: carpentry, draftsman, electrical, masonry, plumbing, etc.
- Engineering: AC & Refrigerator Training, Product Design (CAD, CAE, CFD)
- Healthcare: Cardiac Care Technician, General Duty Assistant (GDA), Medical Lab Technician (MLT), Paramedic, Pharmacist, etc.
- Others: Apparel (Sewing Machine Operator), Electronics (Mobile Phone Technician), Renewable Energy (LNG, Solar, Wind, CNG), Security (Fire & Safety, Unarmed Security Guard), Waste Management (Housekeeping & Cleanliness, Biogas Technician)
Life Skills include
- • Basic banking skills
- • Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- • English language, Entrepreneurship
- • Health & Wellness, Interview Skills
- • Resume Writing
- • Teamwork
- • Social Etiquette
All classes will be a combination of classroom theory and hands-on practical training.
Samaj Kalyan (Centre for CSR Initiatives)
The Centre for CSR Initiatives aims to bring together the industry to support the Yuva Urja Centre. Industry can partner by donating funds or equipment, recruiting youth, sending guest lecturers, etc. We are at different stages of MOU signing with multiple companies in diverse industries to bring the above courses to campus.
Swabhimaan (Centre for Rural Entrepreneurship)
The Centre for Rural Entrepreneurship is targeted at a slightly older rural demographics who are unable to secure funding to setup a microenterprise. In addition to providing funding, in partnership with the Centre for Samaj Kalyan, the centre will support these entrepreneurs by sharing know-how, providing a helpline, introducing them to new ideas and technologies, and so on to become financially independent.